Just this once, schedules are swept aside as a too busy world suddenly revels in the freedom and peace of the snow. The joy and wonder of a snowy day is brought to new life in this destined-to-be-a-classic picture book from Newbery Honor author, Joyce Sidman, and Caldecott winning artist, Beth Krommes.
In a spare text that reads as pure song and illustrations of astonishingly beautiful scratchboard art, Sidman and Krommes remind us that sometimes, if spoken from the heart, wishes really can come true.
While Before Morning‘s text is short, its lyrical sensibilities inspired us to create a song list that evokes the wonders of winter. Enjoy classical music while reveling in art that makes you want to frolick in the snow.
* “Like a snow day, a special treat with broad appeal.” —Kirkus, STARRED review
Frederic Chopin – Nocturne op.9 No.2
* “[Before Morning’s] parallel but separate threads—the innocent images of the poem, the cheery reassurance of the illustrations, and the tension of the family’s wait—give this collaboration significant emotional depth.” —Publishers Weekly, STARRED review
Pyotr Ilyich Tchaikovsky – Waltz Of The Snowflakes
* “It is rare in picture books to find words and art so perfectly matched, though perhaps not surprising given the talents of Newbery Honor–winning Sidman (Dark Emperor and Other Poems of the Night, 2010) and Caldecott winner Krommes (The House in the Night, 2008). Each phrase in Sidman’s spare text is evokes the heart and the senses (let “the earth turn to sugar”), while Krommes’ scratchboard art is so intricately rendered, so full of story, that each page could be investigated dozens of times.” —Booklist, STARRED review
Antonio Vivaldi – Winter
* “This simply perfect book is a must-have piece of portable poetry and art for all collections.” —School Library Journal, STARRED review
Maurice Ravel – Piano Concerto in G Major
* “Throughout, Krommes’s illustrations do the narrative work, and a series of wordless spreads at book’s end provides a sweet balance to the front matter’s opening scenes, slowly easing the reader out of this mesmerizing book.” —Horn Book, STARRED review
Sergei Prokofiev –Troika
Erich Wolfgang Korngold – Serenade from “Der Schneemann”